11/11/07

It's All About...Bon Jovi

Gotta say it: I'm a fan of the 80's hair bands. Pretty much always have been. Even in the midst of my moodiest Bob Dylan-Leonard Cohen-Tom Waits lovin' periods, a good power ballad could brighten my day. Bon Jovi was almost always top of my list, and not just because Jon has really awesome dimples. The band just rocks, the melodies are good, and they've been around long enough that a sampling of their catalog is a fairly decent soundtrack for my last 20 years.

While driving for almost 10 hours through Ohio and Pennsylvania (as I did a few weeks ago), a person has time to think. I was thinking a lot about road trips, and all they've come to symbolize to me. Freedom, independence, adventure, spontaneity. And not that I haven't had my fair share of road trips in previous years, but this last year (with all its change and scariness and sadness and upheaval and...change) has really made the road trip a major feature of my life. In a very, very good way.

So, all of that said, I wouldn't say I'd ever been DEEPLY TOUCHED by a Bon Jovi song. Until the last trip. Funny thing is, I'd heard this song and enjoyed it when they played it on SNL during my PREVIOUS road trip, but really hadn't heard the words. While taking a break from the iPod somewhere in PA -- a rare break, I might add -- I heard this song on the radio and really listened to the lyrics. Oof. Hit me in the gut, they did. And no, they're not sentimental or mushy. That's not what touched me. It's just that they are exactly where I am at this moment in my life. I really am not feeling very sentimental or mushy at all lately. I feel like the song is explaining something that I just can't express. So. This morning, I wanted to share a little glimpse into the me that Jon Bon Jovi expresses better than I do. (And if you think THAT doesn't keep me awake nights...)



FYI: Song is "Lost Highway" off the album of the same title.

No comments: