6/1/08

BANG there was red


BANG there was red
Originally uploaded by klutz67
I've spent several mornings on my patio, staring at the green flower buds (that look suspiciously like something out of "Little Shop of Horrors"), and willing the flowers to bloom. But this morning, I had been outside three times before I noticed these had exploded in their annual red. Yay! I need to spread these around into several places in the yard, because the color explosion is so intense. Much more flowering to come.

No actual rehearsal today, though I was at the theater to let folks in, work in the office for a bit, and attend/run a board meeting. There was a vocal rehearsal going on during the board meeting and I swear they sounded better than I'd heard them yet. We just might pull this thing off. And I figure, with 200 pre-teens singing along to almost every song, anything that doesn't sound great will still sound pretty good!

I read a book this weekend! An actual, not recorded to audio, hold-in-my-hands book. I sat in my reading area and reclined and drank coffee and read. And then I went out on the patio and sat at the table and drank coffee and read. Perhaps the never-empty cup of coffee is why I'm still awake so close to midnight?

Anyway, the book: "The Invention of Hugo Cabret" is a mixture of graphic novel, art book, and intriguing children's story. I could look at the pictures all day, but that would neglect the most amazing story of a young boy who solves a mechanical mystery to discover history. Best of all, it's based in fact, set in Early 20th Century France, and covers the start of the motion picture industry. Fascinating, and very, very interesting. Not high literature, to be sure. It didn't capture my imagination entirely, but it was a fun read. I really enjoyed it. (It helped that it was short enough to finish in a couple of hours -- otherwise, I would have tackled something with a little more meat.)

Bedtime. If the caffeine will let go...

No comments: