9/15/07

It's All About...Planning Ahead

I woke up at 8:30. EIGHT THIRTY. Amazing. It was way later than I usually sleep on weekends, or during the week for that matter, and it feels completely decadent. This is good. An incredibly late night on Thursday – which involved traveling to another county to find an open bar, much laughter, and a friend’s near-miss with an ex-wrestler’s temper – led to a bit of exhaustion yesterday. I would like to tell you that I was crabby yesterday. It’s not exactly true. I was a bitch. I don’t like being a bitch. On my honor, today I will do my best to NOT be a bitch. *I think I can I think I can I think I can*

This morning, I awakened to hear my sister telling my mom that I wouldn’t be at my niece’s soccer game this morning because I wasn’t out of bed yet. *sigh* Now I have the guilt. Yes, I can go next week, and yes, it’s probably not a big deal, and no, it’s not going to scar anyone for life or increase abandonment issues. But yeah. I’m missing a soccer game. I got out of bed and helped with pigtails and shin guards to assuage the guilt. It got me a good hug, and a cuddle, but didn’t touch the guilt. Much.

Then I found out that, although I bought creamer at the store last night as I was supposed to, we have no coffee. I don’t feel guilt about that. I feel…like I need my caffeine and hope that my stashed bag of really good coffee beans is still hidden in the freezer. I hope you cannot see my gleeful hand-wringing and cackling from where you are reading this.

Instead of joining the soccer parents on this chilly September morning, I plan to walk the trail by the lake (this self-improvement campaign at least gives my iPod and my ass a workout), come back and mow the lawn (which will thrill Sis, who can hardly stand the lawn the day after it’s mowed, let alone a week and a half), finish the last load of laundry while finally watching Last King of Scotland, get tidied up to have folks over here tonight after the show, and go feed the cats at the farm. Oh. I should probably pay bills too. Having nearly the entire day with no theater commitments until 5:30 or 6 seems wacky. There are things I could do there too. But I won’t. I could go to work too, but I’ll put that off until tomorrow. Because I can.

I am very, very aware that I keep my days so full to keep my brain occupied and my body tired out enough to crash at the end of the day. I’m worrying a bit about what I’ll do when this show is over. (Not that I’ve ever had a problem filling the time…I amaze myself with how much I get done some days, especially with as out of shape as I obviously am and the energy I miss out on because of it.) I’m postponing my next class because I haven’t gotten approval yet to have work pay for it, and I can’t afford a thousand bucks out-of-pocket this month. Or pretty much any month. Heh.

I am going to go see Weird Al Yankovic next Sunday and could not be more excited. Not only is he one of my very, very favorite performers (and I know that’s weird, but I have adored him since the late ‘80’s…), but I get to go with a friend I haven’t seen in…holy crap, I think it’s been over 12 years. He took me to Barbra Streisand, I’m taking him to Weird Al. I think I got the better of this deal, I have to say! I’ll be heading to Rose City in a couple of weeks to camp with my Aunt Jane and Uncle Skip at their property near Rose City – in a tent for the first time in a decade!! The big comfy camper went the way of my marriage!! I’m also going alone to see Julia Sweeney’s “Letting Go of God” monologue in Chicago in October and am just heart-full at the thought of seeing her perform it in person. I’ve owned the CD of the performance since last fall. Her stories (also including God Said Ha – about her brother’s cancer treatment and death, and her own cancer diagnosis and treatment – and The Family Way) resonate very strongly in my life; her strong sense of morality and values coupled with her logic, diligent topical research and reading, and atheism completely rings true in my life as well. There is just so much recognition every time I hear her speak. Anyway. I’m a total fan girl. And Chicago rocks as well…I’ll probably hit the Aquarium and my beloved Science & Industry Museum too. Because if there is an upside to doing it alone, it’s that I can look at whatever I want for as long as I want without annoying anyone. Big upside for my friends and family!! Finally, I’m travelling to Ocean City at the end of October to scrapbook my little heart out with my Juuuuuuuuulia. (OK, I might have to hug her husband and son once too during the trip, but after that, we are down to serious scrapping.) And I might stop to see Bre on my way home if I can swing that.

But after these trips come to fruition, you, my dear friends and readers unknown, may benefit from my lack of tangible projects. I think I might like to work on the writing thing for a while. Not just my normal journal-keeping, which I’ve done since I was about 9, but actual writing. We’ll see. I’d also like to learn judo, continue my Spanish and German lessons, clean my garage, and hike across Austria, but one step at a time, right?

A final note: Big, big thanks to Susan who came out from Jackson to see our little show last night...what a treat to see you!!! I wish I would have gone backstage and nabbed my camera. Susan and I went to school together in Concord about a hundred years ago (or was it yesterday?). A couple of pictures to round us out here: The silly version of the cast photo, the cast & crew photo, and a couple pictures of the visitor that scared me silly the other night when I was leaving the theater!!






No comments: